From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:18:27 -0400
From: Kim Beadle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:53:11 +0200

Joint announcement from ALPSP, PDR and STM

Text and data-mining clause agreed by ALPSP, P-D-R and STM

Pharmaceutical companies will be better able to pursue research using
text and data-mining, thanks to an agreement announced today. The
Pharma-Documentation-Ring (P-D-R) sample license has been updated to
grant text and data-mining rights to use the content to which each of
the P-D-R members subscribes.

The P-D-R sample license serves as a benchmark used by P-D-R's members
to negotiate individual subscription agreements with publishers and
other content suppliers. It is regularly updated to enable market demand
to meet at the intersection of pharmaceutical research, bio-informatics
as well as electronic and scientific publishing.

The agreement was reached between P-D-R, an association of twenty-one
pharmaceutical companies, the Association of Learned and Professional
Society Publishers (ALPSP), and the International Association of
Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers.

QUOTE P-D-R
"P-D-R is proud to have renewed the trusted partnership among our
organisations and again to have provided the platform for a fruitful
collaboration between our diverse industries" says Henning P. Nielsen,
President of the P-D-R. "With this agreement we have reached a milestone
in fulfilling the needs for data and text mining, and our hope is, that
this agreement will serve as a catalyst for the full and effective
utilisation of the existing solutions as well as the development of new
and innovative technologies in both our dynamic sectors."
The text of the clause reads:

"Text and Data Mining (TDM): download, extract and index information
from the Publisher's Content to which the Subscriber has access under
this Subscription Agreement. Where required, mount, load and integrate
the results on a server used for the Subscriber's text-mining system and
evaluate and interpret the TDM Output for access and use by Authorised
Users. The Subscriber shall ensure compliance with Publisher's Usage
policies, including security and technical access requirements. Text and
data mining  may be undertaken on either locally loaded Publisher
Content or as mutually agreed."

QUOTE ALPSP
"Text and data-mining technology is expanding research possibilities and
this new clause will help publishers meet the rapidly changing needs of
their subscribers," said Audrey McCulloch, CEO of ALPSP. "Bringing the
relevant stakeholders together has been instrumental and ALPSP has been
delighted to work with the STM Association and the members of P-D-R to
achieve this aim.  We look forward to further close collaboration as new
technologies and possibilities develop."

QUOTE STM
"STM members are committed to helping subscribers make the most of the
content we publish," said Michael Mabe, CEO of STM. "In parallel with
the continuing investment by individual STM members in dynamic and novel
publishing and analytic services, this agreement enables P-D-R members
to maximise the use of technology to facilitate scientific advances
through customised integration in the flow of their research. We are
pleased to have worked with P-D-R and ALPSP to achieve this."

About P-D-R
The P-D-R is an association whose members represent the scientific
information departments of the leading international R&D-based
pharmaceutical corporations. The aims of the association are to
- Promote exchange of experience/networking among members
- Encourage commercial development of new information services and
systems
- Jointly assess new and existing products and services
- Provide a forum for the information industry
www.p-d-r.com

Contact Henning P. Nielsen for more information - [log in to unmask]

About ALPSP
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)
is the international organization for non-profit publishers and those
who work with them. It has a broad and diverse membership of over 310
organizations in 38 countries who collectively publish over half of the
world's total active journals as well as books, databases and other
products.  ALPSP's mission is to connect, train and inform the scholarly
and professional publishing community and to play an active part in
shaping the future of academic and scholarly communication.
www.alpsp.org

Contact Audrey McCulloch for further information -

About STM
STM is an international association of over 120 scientific, technical,
medical and scholarly publishers, collectively responsible for more than
60% of the global annual output of research articles, 55% of the active
research journals and the publication of tens of thousands of print and
electronic books, reference works and databases. We are the only
international trade association equally representing all types of STM
publishers - large and small companies, not for profit organizations,
learned societies, traditional, primary, secondary publishers and new
entrants to global publishing.
http://www.stm-assoc.org

Contact Kim Beadle for more information - [log in to unmask]