From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2018 17:30:39 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:40:25 -0400

I see that Jim has responded faster than I on this issue. Jim was
among the earliest producers of electronic journals, as was Stevan
Harnad.  If you search Google with the words Strangelove, and
"electronic journals", you will find interesting results, some even
including the name of Ann Okerson.

Check https://www.strangelove.com/the-directory-of-electronic-journals-newsletters-and-academic-discussion-lists-1991/

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 16:32:14 -0700

As it happens, you come to exactly the right place with this question.
In the earliest 1990s, when the complete number of e-journals was
tiny, our distinguished listowner on Liblicense-L, Ann Okerson, then
at the Association of Research Libraries, published in five
almost-annual editions the complete catalog of such things:   the last
from her hand was *Directory of Electronic Journals, Newsletters, and
Academic Discussion Lists*, 5th ed. (1995): Foreword by Ann Okerson,
but the first was from 1991 and reviewed in the Library Quarterly
62(1992) 250 (online at:
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/602462).

(There were probably two additional issues of the directory published
by ARL after she left, but at some point the explosion of such
publications made it impossible to sustain the cataloging of them
without a substantial staff.)

My particular reason for remembering so clearly may be that I was
co-founder and am still co-publisher of *Bryn Mawr Classical Review*
(http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu), the second oldest (and now oldest open
access) online journal in the humanities, from November of 1990, at
about the moment that, unbeknownst, Okerson was bringing together a
meeting of a dozen or so folks who at that moment constituted the
entire known universe of e-journal publishers.  She tracked me down
not long after and introduced me to others in the field.

Times have changed.

Jim O'Donnell
Arizona State University