From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:04:14 -0500
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:56:43 +0000

I want to back-up Sally on this. I was the publishing director of probably
the first company to try to sell online versions of journals and I tried to
avoid a licence by a pop-up for users which just told them what they could
do with the article accessed. I consulted Ann herself. She told me any
statement like this was a licence. Sally worked very hard in the UK to
construct a model licence (PALS)which would be agreed by both the PA (and
the ALPSP?) and JISC. It was agreed. Then JISC dropped out of the deal and
did their own thing (as I recall).

Anthony