From:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2014 19:46:24 -0400
From: Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:36:23 -0400

Rent the p-book and keep the e-book:

http://joshblackman.com/blog/2014/05/05/aspen-casebook-connect-textbooks-must-be-returned-at-end-of-class-cannot-be-resold/

For one price, students get a hardcover book and its enhanced
e-version; they have "lifetime access" to the e-book (either the
student's life or the life of the publishing company, of course) but
"must return" the p-book at the end of the semester.  The blogger
highlighting this rightly suggests that the physical return may or may
not happen, but bookstores will be prohibited from reselling the paper
copies.  (This is what is meant by the FAQ saying that the bookstore
can "participate" if they choose -- their participation consists of
being cut out of a source of revenue.)

So is this the nose of the camel under the tent for a great conceptual
flip?  Throwaway paper books and permanently archived e-versions?
Keep the e-version and POD a copy whenever I actually want to use it?
What about buying permanent access to an e-version that's regularly
updated, so I need a new POD whenever I want to use paper?

Jim O'Donnell