From:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:32:22 -0500
From: Marita LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:44:39 -0500

Gale Extends Partnership with Portico to Preserve Remaining Digital Collections

Farmington Hills, Mich. – January 24, 2014 – Gale, part of Cengage
Learning and a leading publisher of research and reference resources
for libraries, schools and businesses, and Portico, a not-for-profit
digital preservation service, today announced an extension of their
relationship to preserve the majority of Gale’s remaining digital
archives. Among those to be preserved and added to Portico’s
D-Collection Service are The Times Digital Archive, Slavery &
Anti-Slavery (Parts I-IV), State Papers Online (Parts I-IV) and the
entire back file of Archives Unbound, which accounts for more than 150
topically-focused archives.

The organizations have previously worked together to preserve a number
of Gale’s earlier digital collections, and, with this extension to
their agreement, Portico will effectively be preserving all remaining
Gale-produced collections. When the project is completed, more than
1.5 million documents—amounting to more than 150 million pages, from
65 Gale Digital Collections and 150 Archives Unbound collections—will
have been preserved in the Portico archive. These new collections
represent a wide range of content types, including monographs,
newspapers, journals, manuscripts, photographs and letters, dating
from the 1400’s through the 21st Century.

“We are excited to continue working with Portico as we complete our
preservation of the vast amounts of information held within Gale’s
many digital collections,” said Jim Draper, vice president and general
manager, Gale. “We are proud of the quality and content within our
collections, and have invested many years into delivering the highest
quality digital products to our customers. We are pleased that we can
now be sure that our content will be accessible well into the future.”

"By preserving all of their digital collections with Portico, Gale is
implementing a comprehensive digital preservation strategy for their
library customers, and future students and researchers," added Kate
Wittenberg, managing director, Portico. "We are delighted to expand
our work with Gale to preserve this highly valued content for the long
term."

In accordance with Portico’s D-Collection Service model, Portico will
make the content available to Gale’s customers under specifically
defined circumstances called “trigger events.” Should the content no
longer be made available through the Gale system or from other
sources, or if Gale were to experience an extended service
interruption, Portico will make the content preserved in the archive
available to Gale’s customers. There is no charge from Gale to its
customers for this service.

“The relationship between Gale and Portico represents a critical
service for the library community and the future of scholarship,”
commented Robert Wolven, associate university librarian for
Bibliographic Services and Collection Development, Columbia University
Libraries.  “We could not be more pleased to see this kind of progress
on digital preservation.”

###