From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:41:12 -0500
From: "Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:51:55 +0000

Hello all,

I am very happy to explain further how it is possible for Elsevier to
be both positive about PubMed Central and the Research Works Act.

Elsevier participated in the voluntary NIH posting policy before the
NIH mandate was enacted.  We continue to post on behalf of our
authors, despite increasing concern over the uniform 12 month embargo
period and a principled objection to government-imposed mandates.
What the Research Works Act would do is end the mandate that requires
the free posting of content that has been invested in and improved
upon by publishers, unless they agree to that posting. The Research
Works Act would not end our desire to work in partnership with NIH,
but would give us all more flexibility to negotiate sustainable
models.

We have specific concerns about the NIH mandate which at best is
overly rigid/onerous, and at worst actually damaging. Early
indications show the NIH Public Access Policy has had a negative
impact on Elsevier and other publishers.  We have experienced a modest
reduction of usage (by subscribers) and transactional sales (for non
subscribers) for articles on our publishing platform after they are
placed on PubMed Central even with links to the published journal
article.  The NIH policy has only been in effect a few years and so
these early warning signs are important:  they indicate usage and
revenue loss could increase over time as the content duplicated in PMC
increases.   This early evidence also suggests that PMC is providing
access to users already served by the publishing system - essentially
using tax payer funds to duplicate publisher efforts, and depriving
publishers of revenue for their investments.  The current NIH public
access policy therefore seems neither efficient nor sustainable.

So if the RWA were enacted how might Elsevier work with PubMed
Central?   Well, we would of course want to work closely with NIH
colleagues to shape a shared way forward.  Elsevier already works
successfully with an array of other funding bodies (for an overview of
these agreements see www.elsevier.com/fundingbodies) on sustainable
solutions.  The models can include gold open access publishing,
whereby publication is funded by an article processing charge paid by
the author or another sponsor such as a funding body.  Gold open
access provides one approach toward our shared goal of expanding
access to peer-reviewed scientific works and maximizing the value and
reuse of the results of scientific research.  Another option is green
open access where manuscripts are made publicly available via
repositories after a title-specific embargo period.  With some
funders, for example the Wellcome Trust, we have successfully blended
these models and in exchange for a gold open access publishing fee we
also deposit a sponsored version of the article into UK PubMed
Central.  We feel the Wellcome Trust model is a good one, and
represents a win for author, funder, publisher, university, and
science more broadly.

Elsevier hopes the Research Works Act will stimulate reflection about
the appropriate role for US government agencies in expanding access.
We believe that the current mandate is unnecessary and that there are
better ways to provide access including to taxpayers.  As a company,
we want to continue to work in partnership with NIH and others to
achieve our vision for universal access to information. For us, RWA is
an important bill because it reminds people that collaboration and
partnership rather than government mandates can be powerful ways to
widen access to scientific information.

With kind wishes,

Alicia

Dr Alicia Wise
Director of Universal Access
Elsevier I The Boulevard I Langford Lane I Kidlington I Oxford I OX5 1GB
E: [log in to unmask]