From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2016 20:57:58 -0500
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 18:08:21 -0700

Chuck, thank you for posting this.  I'm delighted to see this
initiative, particularly when I see who's involved.  Please mark
myself and ASU as interested parties.  At the very least, I will look
forward to the conference a year from now.  The issues you are
focusing on are exactly the ones where we need movement.

I'll underscore just one of your points:  when the publisher deposits
an ebook with Portico or CLOCKSS, an assurance of perpetuity is
achieved.  But if my library has "bought" the book not from the
publisher but from a third-party aggregator/vendor, who has mashed it
up into a proprietary format, the steps by which access will be
secured from the archived version after the aggregator goes belly-up
are far from clear.  I would even say that if we are required to do
*anything* in such a circumstance to secure continued access, we're
being ill-served.  Our stacks are full of books from publishers who
have gone out of business, but we continue to use them uninterruptedly
as before.  That should be a standard.

I've been having a conversation since last week with a serious
academic publisher about the issues I raised and we're making good
progress coming to a shared understanding of the issues.  I hope to
share a resulting message that will go into the ways library/publisher
interests both align and misalign sometime in the next week or so.

With thanks and congratulations,
Jim O'Donnell
ASU