From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:46:40 -0500
From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:39:51 +0000

This is a response I recently sent to Taylor and Francis regarding
cancellations of two library journals they recently acquired from
Elsevier. I thought it might be of interest to the list.

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte

*******

Subject: Taylor and Francis- Cancellations of Library Journals To:

You ask the following regarding these two titles:  Library
Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services Online ;Serials
Review Online

"could you please email [log in to unmask] to let us know if the
following items apply to you:"  WE...do not intend to renew ..
subscriptions (please specify reason for cancellation)

Reasons for Cancellation

1. These titles were part of the "big deal" package with Elsevier.

For Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services Online.
For the calendar year 2013 we had NO downloads of articles. If the
title had remained with Elsevier it would have been protected from
cancellation because of our license. As we have no such license with
you, it is not protected.. From calendar year 2012 content  we had 2
downloads last year. Clearly this is not a title we can justify
retaining..

For Serials Review we had 8 downloads for 2013 and 4 for 2012.  Again
a title we cannot justify based on the usage.

2. Your policy on Green OA is unacceptable and we are targeting ALL
takeover T&F titles for this level of review.

3. Your subscription  pricing patterns in the past have been highly
questionable. You tend to take over a lesser priced title and rapidly
escalate the pricing. We do not intend to support that type of pricing
escalation

4. We do not support overpriced APCs (Article Processing Charges) for
journal authors in social science fields and humanities,or any field
for that matter.  ie. "hybrid" OA journal charges of $3,000 per
article!  For an individual article to be OA in library journal or
history journal article this is outrageous.  We will not support such
practices where we can cancel offending titles.  Your implementation
of the Finch report shows a level of disingenuous and disruptive
behavior we will not support.  We are protesting this policy the only
way we know how:  by cancelling whatever journals you take over that
we can.  We will also conduct a more thorough review of your titles
over the next year based on this decision of yours.

5. We do not want to inadvertently provide the message to faculty
considering publication that you are behaving responsibly in the
current environment. You are not.

6. The recent resignation of the whole editorial board of one of your
library journals also is a factor..

7.  The whole library faculty were surveyed on these titles and agreed
to cancel them.

Chuck Hamaker
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte