From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:51:24 -0400
From: "Elizabeth E. Kirk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:57:00 +0000

Michael is absolutely on target. I expect that you would hear the same
from Coutts (our principal American vendor) as well as YBP. Librarians
in the three libraries in which I've worked have not hesitated to
select revised dissertations.

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
Hanover, NH, USA

From: Michael Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 02:31:33 +0000

We had this discussion, i.e. Revised Dissertations vs. Unrevised
Dissertations, a couple of years ago.  The distinction is a critical
one in terms of Approval Plans and library purchasing generally.
Revised Dissertations are not penalized by most academic libraries in
terms of approval plan filtering.  In fact they sell only very
slightly below the average university press monograph.  I provided
data supporting this in regard to academic library sales in that
series of posts.  This is urban legend.

The designation of 'Revised Dissertation' conveys a sense that the
treatment of the subject will likely be in depth.  This is supported -
or not - by other profiling information such as readership level and
'select category'.

Michael Zeoli
Vice President, Strategic eContent Development
& Partner Relations
YBP Library Services
em: [log in to unmask]