From:
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:25:16 -0500
From: Collette Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:36:36 -0500

Agreed, Laura.  Librarians tend to favor the rights of the individual
author/researcher and encourage our users to retain as many of their
rights as practical.  Besides, I suspect that many presses would not
be allowed/have policies preventing them to respond to question from
individuals. As one of our unofficial copyright first responders (term
coined by Harvard) we are careful to treat questions as we would a
reference question--here are resources, here are court decisions but
we can not give legal advice and we are very (!) clear on that.

What we CAN do is help the user find the permissions link, show the
STM guidelines and, most importantly raise awareness of fair use,
options and aspects of publishing they may not be aware of (do you
need that specific map or do you just need a map that shows the
borders, we can find a map in the public domain; do you need that
specific picture of a cat or do you just need a picture of a cat, let
me show you flickr creative commons; have you considered the SPARC
addendum?; may I show you how to get an ORCID?)   This is the sort of
help they're unlikely to get from a lawyer or publisher--it's just not
their job but it is the job of the librarian.

Collette

Collette Mak
Outreach and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Hesburgh Libraries

University of Notre Dame
115a Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN 46556