From:
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 19:42:17 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:56:51 +0100

I think OA advocates are putting their heads in the sand if they ignore the
sheer number of the publishers on the list which Jeffrey Beall has compiled.
That is the problem.

It is nothing to do with OA as a business model or as a philosophy but it is
mainly an OA phenomenon because starting an OA journal (especially if you do
not have to pay an editor) is so much less of an investment. There are
really a very small number of subscription publishers who do not offer
proper peer review. Librarians are capable of discriminating so they cannot
survive. Scholars in countries like the US can discriminate though not
always recent ones. However it is really irritating for them to have to
check out and indentify the serious journals when they get in their inbox
several times a week an invitation to go on an editorial board or contribute
a paper. Kevin must know this and must have found out because I know he is
touch with academics at Duke.

It is no point banging on about small society journals being bought by large
commercial publishers. That is not relevant. Why is OA advocacy still so
strident? Incidentally I do not know of any small society journals being
bought. I know they have entered into partnerships as they have the BioOne.

Anthony