From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 20:51:49 -0500
From: "Katz, Peter C. (ELS-NYC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:10:09 +0000

Hello Everyone,

My name is Peter Katz; I am VP, Customer Lifecycle Solutions Support at
Elsevier. One of my responsibilities is to consult with customers when we
see higher than normal usage of Science Direct, thus my response to this
thread.

As mentioned by several of the list members who responded to the original
posting, most publishers actively engage with our library customers when
we observe suspicious usage, and together we can determine whether the
usage is in fact related to research or if it is malicious.  This
cooperation benefits libraries and publishers because if the usage is
malicious it means systems security has been compromised for both.
Sci-Hub is not the only organization that steals content, and there are
quite a few sites in China (for example) that offer stolen usernames and
passwords of authorized users obtained in various ways including through
fairly sophisticated phishing expeditions.

In December there was a lively discussion about this topic on the EZ Proxy
listserv which may be of interest to list readers. OCLC has published a
number of recommendations for improving EZ Proxy security, which can be
found at this URL:

http://www.oclc.org/support/services/ezproxy/documentation/example/securing
.en.html

I believe that publishers and libraries can work together on this shared
challenge, perhaps led by OCLC.

Thank you,

Peter Katz

Peter Katz :: Vice President