From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:00:37 -0500
From: Laura Quilter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:51:50 -0500

You have to sign in writing a transfer of copyright in the US.  So,
Elsevier's copyright statement on your articles is what some have
termed "copyfraud".  They certainly don't have the right to "enforce"
your copyright, and if they try to do so, you should push back --
and hopefully make this widely-known!

I suspect, actually, that a significant fraction of the so-called
copyright holdings of large academic publishers can't actually be
documented, and thus really belongs to the original authors, under
US law.  Sadly there's probably no way to actually figure out the
numbers for this.

Laura

Laura Markstein Quilter / [log in to unmask]
Attorney, Geek, Militant Librarian, Teacher

Copyright and Information Policy Librarian
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Lecturer, Simmons College, GSLIS