From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:55:40 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 12:52:52 +0000

There is so much to say in refutation of this message, but I will make
just two points.

First, I don't believe people are "confused" by Elsevier's new policy.  We
know what it says and what it is up to, in spite of the puffery and
doublespeak of the press releases.  It is not confusion but anger that is
behind the widespread rejection of the policy.  Elsevier is overreaching
itself and claiming a right to interfere with the fundamental processes of
scholarship.  The scholarly community is perfectly right to object when a
service that should be instrumental tries to claim that it is the
controlling interest in the scholarly process, such that it is entitled to
dictate the terms of that process and to impede it in order to get its way.

Second, and relatedly, I want to push back on the sentence that
says,"Generally embargoes should be set on a title-by-title basis by
publishers."  Why should they be?  For one thing, it is the authors and
the users in the academic community who should determine what is best in
terms of sharing.  Elsevier wants to control the process, but only for
reasons of preserving a business model and protecting itself from changing
conditions it still seems unable to fully understand.  That is allowing,
as I said in a previous post, the tail to wag the dog.  Of course, they
*can* do it because of a set of legal and economic relationships that made
sense once upon a time, but the backlash against the new policy indicates
a strong desire in the academy to change those relationships.

The second "why" about this statement is why embargoes should be different
from title to title?  The publishing community tries to justify this based
on a bespoke study of "article half-life," a concept that has no
demonstrable relationship to subscriptions.  If Elsevier cannot
demonstrate the specific need for 48 month embargoes in some disciplines
by showing an impact on subscriptions when embargoes in those fields are
shorter than that, there is no justification for the demands they are
making.  In any case, when subscriptions are sold as a bundle, how can
different embargoes for individual titles make any sense, since there can
be little or no impact on subscriptions to those individual titles?

Perhaps Dr. Wise would answer a simple question: Was Elsevier losing money
under its old policy?  This change has obviously not brought greater
simplicity or fairness to the process of publishing with Elsevier -- that
is just the rhetoric of the press release.  So it seems like the only real
justification would be to protect slipping income.  Is that what was
happening?  If not, why make the change?

Kevin Smith

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC 27708