From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:31:46 -0400
From: "Hosburgh, Nathan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:43:22 -0600

Access/hosting/maintenance fees are fairly common after purchasing a
digital archive.  Sometimes the fee is specified in the
license/agreement; sometimes it is mentioned vaguely and no actual
cost is specified.  It's worthwhile to clarify whether a hosting fee
will apply and get an exact figure before finalizing an archive
purchase.  Otherwise, you could be paying exorbitant fees that you
didn't anticipate.

GBP £450.00 doesn't seem exorbitant, but it depends on how many titles
you are accessing.  If hosting fees were never mentioned in any sort
of agreement, then you would have more leverage for pushing back
against the fees.  If you don't get anywhere initially, you might
escalate the issue within the publisher's management structure.

Nathan Hosburgh
Electronic Resources Librarian
Assistant Professor
Montana State University Library