From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:46:16 -0400
From:  Irene Perciali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:30:20 -0700

The responses on this thread so far pretty much cover the free journal
publishing software out there. But there's also the slightly different
question of a free journal publishing platform.

In that vein, I think it's worth mentioning that academic libraries
themselves host journal publishing platforms. Though not free to the
library, libraries offer it for free to editors and journals on
campus. Most commonly, academic libraries host local installations of
OJS or they use Digital Commons (which includes full journal
publishing as part of the IR). We're almost at 500 journals now
supported by the 200-some schools using Digital Commons.

I think it's valuable, when compiling lists of journal publishing
options, to include the model where libraries host journal publishing
for their campus. For scholars who want to launch a journal and are
reviewing options, there's an increasingly good chance that their
academic library offers just what they need.

The best resource that surveys journal publishing systems in use by
academic libraries is the IMLS funded 2011 report "Library Publishing:
Strategies for Success." It's on Purdue University's IR at:
http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/purduepress_ebooks/24. And, I'll be
covering trends and best practices in library-led publishing in an
upcoming webinar called "New Directions: Library Publishing":
http://digitalcommons.bepress.com/pubseries.

Thanks for the great thread and links,
Irene

Irene Perciali, Ph.D.