From:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 18:11:58 -0400
From: Alex Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 21:46:59 -0400

Rick,

You're right about the thread getting a bit old, but I hope you and
others will excuse my extending it just a little bit further.  Perhaps
I missed it, but nowhere in the discussion do I recall seeing explicit
reasons why librarians want to know whether or not a book is a revised
dissertation in order to make a decision on whether to add it to a
collection.  I understand the need to label unrevised dissertations
(let's just call them dissertations) and I understand and everyone
seems to agree that they will be purchased much less frequently than
monographs and that that is both understandable and even desirable.
But what distinguishes a revised dissertation from any other monograph
vis-a-vis a decision to add it to a collection?  Do some libraries
really only collect the work of senior scholars in particular fields?
If that's not the distinction made, what does the information that it
is a revised dissertation contribute to the decision to buy?

I've never gone out of my way to conceal that a book we publish is a
revised dissertation (I can't imagine publishing an unrevised one),
though I confess we don't shout it out either.  Understanding why
librarians care about this status would be helpful.

Thanks,

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press