From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:33:25 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:07:15 +0000

Surely, it's not "optimizing the synergy" of OA and SB publishing, but
"optimising the efficacy of research communication" that it's all
about?

From that point of view, SB is decidedly sub-optimal, in contrast to
OA, particularly 'true' OA, machine-readable, with no impediments to
re-use, so that computer-assisted large-scale analysis is possible.

Computer-assisted large scale analysis (in addition to actual reading
of selected articles) is fast becoming essential, due to the research
information 'overwhelm' that the relentless increase in published
research brings about. And not only in the form of research articles,
but increasingly accompanied by (large) datasets as well.

For that is the real problem: research information 'overwhelm'. The
problems of how to finance libraries and publishing follow from that.

As a result of this 'overwhelm', I see the entire edifice of research
publishing changing. Subscriptions, peer-review, the very format of
articles, funding, (traditional) libraries, (traditional) publishers,
impact factors; not far before time is up for all of those.

New concepts are emerging, integrating narrative and data, human- and
machine-readability, pattern-analysis of large amounts of information
and occasional linear reading, semantic navigation of knowledge, etc.
The time that information is taken in by the drink, like water, is
making place for a time in which information is being utilised as a
carrier (like oceans) to navigate between knowledge 'destinations' and
explore unknown shores.

Jan Velterop