From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:36:08 -0400
From: Dietrich Rordorf / MDPI <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:24:06 +0200

I have also been questioning the validity of this "70-80% no-APC OA
journals" figure. The number of articles actually published with a
fee is more difficult to obtain as even within large OA journals there
is a significant fraction of articles published in open access format
with charges waived. MDPI published 7000 papers in open access format
in 2012, whereof roughly 1/3 had no charges at all. The best approach
would be to choose a random sample of articles from the DOAJ published
in 2012, and contact the authors to find out if there was a charge
associated with their paper published in OA format.

Best,
Dietrich