From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 17:17:39 -0400
From: Klaus Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM

In June 2015 there was a little debate in this list on CC-licenses.

http://listserv.crl.edu/wa.exe?A2=LIBLICENSE-L;419856ed.1506

My position on CC-BY-ND was:

"ND means: only re-use 1:1 is allowed, no excerpts, no use of single figures."

Hirtle wrote:

> [F]or the ND license, it is
> perfectly ok to excerpt content from an ND license.  As the legal code
> for that license says, it grants you the right to "Reproduce and Share
> the Licensed Material, in whole or in part." Note the "in part."  That
> means that you can use excerpts or take a figure from an ND-licensed
> work.  You would, however, need to mark the excerpt with the
> attribution and license of the original.  What you can't do is
> distribute any modified versions of an ND-licensed work without
> permission (what the licenses call "adapted material").

This is a correct answer for CC 4.0 but not for 3.0 and earlier
licenses. Note that there isn't an "in part"! I wasn't familiar enough
with the relatively new 4.0 license to know that change.

See
http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/1022485499/ (in German)

Klaus Graf