From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:06:42 -0500
From: Elaine Devine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:24 AM

*** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING ***

The Austrian Science Fund (FWF), the Austrian Academic Consortium
(Kooperation E-Medien Österreich, KEMÖ), and Taylor & Francis Group
have today announced a two year pilot which will offset article
publishing charges paid by the Austrian Science Fund against
subscription costs for KEMÖ members.

This offset amount will be used by the Austrian Academic Consortium
members to reduce the costs of their new or existing subscriptions. In
so doing, the agreement allows Taylor & Francis Group to fully
acknowledge the funding provided by FWF for researchers to publish on
an open access basis in the hybrid journals that make up Taylor &
Francis Group’s Open Select program.

Brigitte Kromp of the Austrian Academic Consortium (KEMÖ) said,

“The members of the Austrian Academic Consortium highly appreciate
this new agreement as it cumulates subscription fees and open access
article processing charges on a national level, thus creating maximum
transparency. We hope and trust that this agreement will offer a
powerful incentive for more Austrian researchers to publish in Taylor
& Francis journals on an open access basis.”

Falk J. Reckling, Strategic Analysis Department Head, FWF said of the agreement,

“Open access is the future of scholarly publishing. Therefore, we see
this pilot agreement as an important intermediate step towards full
open access with all publishers. Furthermore, due to Taylor & Francis’
strong portfolio of journals in the social sciences and the
humanities, Austria gets the chance to strengthen open access
publishing in these fields in particular.”

Ian Jones, Journals Sales Director for the UK, Europe, Middle East and
Africa at Taylor & Francis Group, said,

“Our agreement with The Austrian Science Fund and the Austrian
Academic Consortium enables us to continue our policy of developing
effective open access publishing models for all concerned, publisher,
institution and funder. We’ve welcomed the opportunity to discuss and
develop this agreement with our Austrian colleagues, and look forward
to ensuring it works effectively for all throughout this pilot phase.”

The agreement with The Austrian Science Fund and the Austrian Academic
Consortium follows Taylor & Francis Group’s recent announcement of an
agreement with JISC Collections, which included a discount arrangement
for articles published on an open access basis in Open Select
journals, determined by institutional expenditure.

Note to editors

Taylor & Francis open access information: www.tandfonline.com/page/openaccess

Information on Open Select (Taylor & Francis’ hybrid open access
publishing program):

http://www.tandfonline.com/page/openaccess/openselect