From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:03:55 -0400
From: "Pikas, Christina K." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:00:22 -0400

Hi Anna-

This is a long time problem - with RSS feeds, too, and for alerts for
new contents for many journals and databases. There are a couple of
ways to mitigate this. First, some information providers have added
pairing whereby if you create a personal account while on the network,
that account has access off the network for some period of time (6
months to even a year). That's obviously not something you can do for
them.

Something you can do is to encourage the libx toolbar or similar. That
way they can follow the link, right click, and reload through proxy.
After entering their password, they'll have access.  I think there's
also an EZProxy bookmarklet that would do the same thing as reload
through proxy if you have EZProxy.

Absent those things, it would be a matter of re-finding the article
through your journal linker (SFX or equivalent) or VPN-ing into your
institution. If the patron is using an iPad or Android tablet and you
have Juniper SSL VPN, they might be able to use the Junos Pulse app to
vpn which is stupid simple to do.

Christina

------
Christina K. Pikas
Librarian
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory