From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:50:34 -0400
From: Diane Scott-Lichter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:02:12 -0400

Gamification – the new name of the game?.. Latest issue of Learned
Publishing now out

www.learned-publishing.org

Gamification – an ugly word for an interesting take on an old issue –
how to engage your membership or readership in a meaningful way.
According to David Armstrong, we’ve moved on from loyalty cards and
prizes to things which the member might really value – something which
they perceive as enhancing their own status or stature – almost an
internal metric, if you will – let’s invent a new word -- ‘intmetrics’
 (don’t think it will catch on, do you?). You’ll have to read the
article to find out more.

Then Dave Nicholas and David Clark  of CIBER have a study which looks
at two topics which are increasingly part of our information world –
use of a database by both scholars and the public, and how access via
mobiles is changing things. They do this on the massive database
Europeana – with implications for many other fields, I would think.

These days we always have one or two articles on China, and often they
seem to be increasingly critical of how things are organized –Lu Jian
Ping decries the fact that policies on technical and ethical standards
have not, so far, been followed up by action, and Songqing Lin
explains how the legacy ‘approval system’ for new journals can almost
cripple them before they start.

Want to know how Rubriq, a pioneering (they hope) system for peer
review before submission, works and is organized? Laura Stemmle and
Keith Collier, the founders, tell you in quite a detailed way.

Will CHORUS get everyone singing from the same song sheet? My
distinguished co-editor, Diane Scott-Lichter does a very informative
editorial explaining not only what it is, but also how it compares
with the ideas for SHARE and other offerings. I tried, and failed, to
think of witty references to A Chorus Line, in or out of tune, all
working in harmony – or not, etc.

Also on access (which is what Chorus is about, in case you didn’t
know), we have a very timely research article from Stephen Pinfield
surveying the state of medical funding agencies’ policies on Open
Access – not surprisingly, they are not all yet up-to-speed, or fully
developed, at least. This article is itself Open Access, so you can
read it even if you are not a member nor subscriber.

Peter Froehlich has an opinion piece suggesting what we might learn
from some general principles about spotting what’s coming next in
scholarly publishing. And on books , we have pieces  by Jane Tappuni
on the influence of online communities on bookselling, and Alison
Baverstock  follows up her previous piece on self-publishing, looking
this time at what satisfaction it can provide (for the authors, that
is!) – interesting to think whether general trends here will spill
over into scholarly publishing per se.

Hope you like the issue - See you in three months.

Alan Singleton
Editor-in-Chief
Learned Publishing

---------------------------------

Learned Publishing Volume 26 No 4 October 2013 www.learned-publishing.org

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal
subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the
Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up the
'ALPSP Author Choice'

OA option, are now free to all. If you would like to receive an email
alert or RSS feed every time a new issue goes online, all you have to
do is sign up at
http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

ALPSP members - please log in to the ALPSP website to access the full content.

SSP members - please log in to the member center on the SSP website to
access the full content.