From:
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 20:12:49 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 19:39:25 -0500

[MOD NOTE: Not so sure about that, Sandy -- let's see if any UK list
readers have time to respond in any detail.  However, having the TDM
exception is surely more than a "modest extension" of fair dealing.]

Don't get too excited. These new provisions are just modest extensions
of fair dealing. E.g., the guidance about copying in educational
settings says the following:

> Does this mean schools/universities will no longer need
> photocopying licences?

> No, schools and universities will still need to hold photocopying licences.
> However, where works are not available under licence, a teacher will be
> able to make photocopies of extracts from works without worrying about
> copyright infringement, as long as they copy no more than 5% of the work
> per annum.

That 5% limit is not even the 10% "rule" that Judge Evans put forward
in the GSU decision.

Sandy Thatcher