From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:35:41 -0500
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 01:50:38 +0000

I would add only one clarification to Glenn¹s note below. In addition to
OA supporters and OA critics, the conversation also included people (like
myself) whom I would characterize as OA ³agnostics² ‹ people who are
ambivalent because they see tremendous value in open access, but also
complications, costs, and problems that it isn¹t always fun or popular to
discuss. The scholarly communication system is a complex one, its problems
are complicated and multidimensional, and the spectrum of attitudes that
exist in regard to OA can¹t accurately be reduced to a representation as
binary as ³supporter² and ³critic.²

(For the record, I know Glenn isn¹t being intentionally reductionist here
‹ his moderation of the discussion showed him to have a rare sense of
nuance and sensitivity to the range of views that were expressed.)

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah