From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:22:43 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-WAL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:18:13 +0000

I’ve also been thinking about the Authors Guild-Google decision and
posted a longer analysis and summary (comment) on my LinkedIn summary
section, but will summarize below.  As you might expect, I’m highly
concerned about the uncertainty introduced by the panel’s expansion of
‘transformative’ use from its origin as a part of the first factor
‘purpose of the use’ to a “suggestive symbol for a complex thought”
that runs through all four factors.

I think it is also odd for the court to equate a scholar’s potential
research purpose in the often-used “United States as plural vs
singular entity” example, with Google’s purpose in creating a huge
database of content.  In other words I don’t think Google started the
Book/Library project in order to do a specific scholarly research
project.  No doubt Google started it for a variety of reasons
(including socially useful purposes) -- but certainly one of those
reasons was to generally enrich and improve Google’s own search
algorithms by exposure to an ever increasing mountain of data.  That’s
a huge competitive advantage for Google which is extremely difficult
for any other technology vendor or rights organization to compete
with.

It also concerns me that the court pays so little attention to the
possibilities of potential markets for authors in these kinds of
secondary users—the literal language of 107 does actually use the word
“potential,” and in essence the court has put the burden of proof re
this aspect on the rights-holder.

Bottom line is that although the decision could be read narrowly
(specific and unusual fact circumstances, possible appeal, perhaps
differences in approach among the circuits), there’s no question that
this is a very influential jurist (Leval) and a very influential
court, and therefore very impactful.  I think it makes it very
difficult to articulate what "fair use" actually means in practice
(thinking about the reference in the Liblicense model agreement for
example)...

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=16596255&trk=hp-identity-name
(then go to the "summary" section)…

Mark Seeley

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier