From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 19:00:24 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 20:50:14 -0500

I am a great admirer of the work of Andrew Odlyzko and have even
recently recommended some of his papers to someone who is putting
together a "greatest hits" collection on scholarly communications. (I
only recommended 4 people.)  But I simply do not agree with his view
of the editorial process.

First of all, editing is not just copy-editing.  Copy-editing is of
uncertain merit, at least to me.  Mark Kurtz's post on this thread
pretty much sums up my own view, so I won't restate it here.  The more
significant editorial decisions are, first,  in choosing the editor of
a journal.  This could be called a publishing decision rather than an
editorial one, but it certainly has a great impact on the final
product.  The second is what could be called "the personality of the
publisher."  This is hard to explain to people who have not seen this
in action, but it is fundamental to traditional publishing.  That
personality is what makes an editor accept or reject a piece because
it, well, just feels right to do so.  Editors, that is, are not just
looking or what is good as opposed to what is bad but are interested
in the direction that certain materials are taking.  Those who believe
that personality is "subjective" (as though that were a bad thing)
don't appreciate that scholarship, including in the sciences, is moved
forward as much by the force of an individual's will as it is by its
"correctness."  There are many things to be correct about, but why
choose one direction over another?  Thus the editorial process not
only reviews material but also helps to set the agenda for the domains
it covers.  (This of course is highly unwelcome in some circles.)
Finally, the editorial process helps to shape material (more true of
books than for journals), which is a great service to readers.  Peer
review is subordinate to these other editorial functions.

I should add (having just read Anthony Watkinson's and Ken Masters'
posts) that I am not asserting that traditional publishing is good and
that Gold OA is bad.  Nor am I suggesting that everything that goes
into a traditional journal is of high quality or that the traditional
publishers somehow or other have attained the moral high ground.
There are scoundrels everywhere.  In terms of my own professional
activity, I spend more time on OA services than on traditional ones.
If you are looking for an apologist for traditional publishing, you
will have to look elsewhere.  I am making a simple assertion, that the
need to drive down costs in Gold OA publishing is likely to have an
impact on the kind of editorial attention that OA materials receive
pre-publication.  You can argue that that attention is unnecessary (I
chuckled at Mark's example of the use of the "series [sic] comma"),
that post-publication review in the form of readers' comments is of
equal or greater value, and that the merits of openness outweigh
whatever is lost of the traditional editorial process.  But I don't
think you can argue that the editorial review, across all OA
publications, of the same kind as in the traditional model.  Note the
gap between the $5,000 revenue per article in Andrew Odlyzko's recent
paper and the $1,250 fee for articles in PLoS ONE.  That's a big gap
to close and editorial activity must contribute to part of it.

The number of Gold OA services is exploding.  I hear of about two new
ones each week.  We have a living laboratory here from which we will
be able to make judgments in a few years.  I am happy to wait.

A last technical point:  Ken Masters notes that some traditional
publishers have OA options and asks whether that means that standards
are lower.  No, it does not.  OA options for traditional publications
represent a "two-sided economy," in which revenue received from
libraries is supplemented by revenue from authors.  There is no
financial pressure to cut editorial activity in these situations.

Joe Esposito