From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:53:13 -0500
From: Angela Timmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:03:12 -0600

Springer has been hosting Library Advisory Board meetings since 2005.
Over the course of the last 7 years we have enjoyed the collaboration
with librarians in an open environment. Members are chosen based on
feedback from our sales team. We look for members who are known to be
outspoken and well-versed within library related hot topics and
trends. Members are generally rotated on 3 year basis. Agenda’s are
developed using both internal and external feedback and usually cover
new developments and trends within Springer and the library community.
We look to gain honest, open and direct feedback from key industry
thought leaders in the respective industries and regions.

The feedback we gain from the LAB meetings is invaluable. Before a new
product is launched, we introduce the idea to the LAB group 6 to 12
months prior to actual launch. The discussions following are important
to content development, product/site development and pricing. Some
examples of this are:

SpringerProtocols: The LAB members helped to structure the pricing in
a way that was more suitable to the market. We were able to make the
necessary changes to the pricing before the launch. The LAB members
raved at the next meeting how they felt like Springer "really
listened" and took their feedback seriously.

SpringerLink: The LAB members played a large part in the early stages
of the SpringerLink re-launch in 2009. Though not all requests and
input were directly put to use, the feedback gained is still being
used to direct future plans for SpringerLink
MyCopy: The plan was discussed with the LAB members at one meeting and
the product name was chosen as a group effort.

The input and discussions from LAB meetings is seen as an invaluable
resource to allow Springer to balance strategy and development against
the market needs. We often call upon LAB members to speak at other
events and meetings. There is nothing better than a working global LAB
group.

Angela Timmerman
Springer SBM B.V.
Director Academic / Government Marketing & Account Development EMEA