From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:59:21 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:15:42 -0500

And this is precisely the dilemma for university presses in deciding
what books to put into such ebook aggregations. The undoubted
pedagogical benefits for teachers and students come at a high cost to
presses that, in this manner, lose significant revenues from the sale
of paperbacks for course adoption.  The more students and faculty gain
financially from this arrangement, the more presses lose in being able
to publish these books in the first place. Of course, being an OA
advocate, I'm not opposed to abandoning the market as the basis for
funding scholarly publishing. But the present model on which most
university presses operate is not such as to make that a feasible
option--yet.

Sandy Thatcher