From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 18:15:18 -0500
From: Ed Pentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 10:56:04 +0000

A few comments from me as co-chair of the NISO group and Executive
Director of CrossRef:

- comments on the draft recommendations can be made here -
http://www.niso.org/apps/group_public/document.php?document_id=12047
(Dietrich has added his comment, thanks)

- the NISO group discussed the issue of including license conditions
in the XML itself and ruled it out in the interest of keeping the
recommendations simple and practical. With my CrossRef hat on it would
be very difficult an costly for publishers to deposit this type of
detailed rights metadata and the list of what can be included gets
very long and very complicated very quickly. The group also felt that
for legal reasons many institutions would need to check the actual
license terms even if information was included in the metadata and
rights vary based on context (a user accessing content from a
subscribing institution and being IP authenticated).

- I see this Recommended Practice as a first step and if it gets
implemented successfully and widely then it can be revised in future.
There have been many instances where complex standards have been
developed and then never widely used in practice (e.g. version 2
SICI).

Regards,

Ed