From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:29:20 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:11:01 -0800

As part of the research I have been doing on the impact of PDA on book
publishers, I stumbled on an interesting problem.  How does a library
know that books listed in its catalogue for a PDA service will
actually be commercially available at some future point when a patron
requests it?  This is a different kind of preservation--not
preservation of purchased materials, but preservation of commercial
availability prior to purchase.  I think we need a new piece of
infrastructure, the bookstore of last resort, which is described at
greater length at the ScholarlyKitchen:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/02/13/the-bookstore-of-last-resort/

Comments would be much appreciated.

Joe Esposito