From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:12:15 -0500
From: "Hoon, Peggy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:32:56 +0000

Even given this scenario, which I am not convinced is universally paid for
by publishers, the publisher, in no way comes out as the "greatest"
contributor.  Indeed, my point was not to say that the publisher made no
important contribution to the finished product but to point out the other
tremendously critical contributors - the faculty member, the funder, the
supporting institution - without which there would be nothing to peer
review.  The question still stands as to why this one contributor should
be the single holder of the resulting IP.  That is, take away the other
heavy hitters - the faculty member/researcher/author, the funds supporting
him/her and the entity supplying the salary, facilities, etc. - give what
you have without them to a peer reviewer-paid or not - and see how long it
takes them to look at a blank piece of paper.

The major US Federal funding agencies have clearly reached this same
conclusion and are asserting right of control over taxpayer monies given
to researchers pursuant to grants by mandating open access to the
resulting manuscript.

Respectfully,
Peggy Hoon