From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:53:50 -0400
From: Christina Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:46:52 +0000

Dear LibLicense Members,

Please find today’s full press release here:
http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org/press-release/

Google Scholar Indexes Open Access Books

The length of monographs and their level of treatment pose unique
challenges in a search environment. Monographs generally describe
mature work unlike journal articles, which usually describe early
stage work. As a result, it can be hard to achieve a successful search
experience for restricted access monographs, according to Anurag
Acharya of Google Scholar.

After asking Acharya (co-founder of Google Scholar) why Google Scholar
did not index monographs, Frances Pinter of Knowledge Unlatched (KU)
says, “I realized that such challenges fall by the wayside with Open
Access books.”

Pinter explained that the dataset of 28 books from the KU Pilot was
likely to be too small for Google to try out on open books. “So I told
Anurag Acharya about OAPEN’s platform and its nearly 2,500 Open Access
books,” says Pinter.

OAPEN and Knowledge Unlatched are pleased to announce that Google
Scholar is now able to index Open Access books hosted by OAPEN.

Best regards,
Christina

—

Christina Emery
Partnership Manager | Knowledge Unlatched
www.knowledgeunlatched.org