From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 23:41:39 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:43:21 -0600

I agree with this assessment. The Office of Digital Scholarly
Publishing at Penn State, when it was launched in 2005 as a joint
operation of the Press and Libraries, had in mind providing a platform
for faculty-initiated journals, among other services, and i believe it
is a service that libraries can reasonably (and cheaply) provide if
the journals are published OA. In the case of the ODSP, the Press's
editorial review of the journal proposal at the outset could provide
some degree of assurance regarding the quality of the publication, and
periodic reviews thereafter could be a check on maintaining quality.
In fact, it would be a good idea if more journals received
post-publication periodic reviews for quality, instead of just relying
on citation counts and like quantitative measures of impact.  Such
periodic review is often done for monograph series, so why not
journals?

Sandy Thatcher