From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:22:23 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:21:54 -0600

It's not clear to me whether FASTR will apply to the NEH. A posting on
SCHOLCOM includes the NEH among the agencies covered, but the
information i have about the NEH budget doesn't suggest that its
"extramural research budget" exceeds $100 million. Indeed, it appears
to be considerably below that threshold.

This is particularly important, I believe, because FASTR will operate
with a kind of license that is equivalent to CC-BY, or so Peter Suber
claims in his commentary.  That type of license removes any control
scholars would have over, among other things, poor translations of
their writings into foreign languages. I imagine humanists might be
especially concerned about giving up such control.

Sandy Thatcher