From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 20:52:47 -0400
From: Amy Schuler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:27:46 -0400

This is a very interesting discussion.  Ann, I appreciate your
treatment of the specific issues.  I agree that in regard to point 1,
technical vocabulary, it is incumbent on professional librarians to
have basic understanding of legal contracts.  There are many
informational resources available to help with this - not limited to
the link you provided.  A quick google search reveals many model
contracts and licenses, guides to legal vocabulary, etc.  Many
consortia and library associations are busy creating these guides and
toolkits, usually with the assistance of lawyers (so let's not kill
all of them :))  I would assume that LIS programs also offer courses
that help students learn about legal contracts.

As for point 3, language of the contract, I do not have much to offer,
although I would suspect any initiative here would be backed up (or
lead by?) our friends at IFLA (International Federation of Library
Associations).  Is there a working committee or division at IFLA that
would tackle this?  The creation and ready availability of prepackaged
tools (vocabulary cheat sheets in a variety of  languages, contractual
customs and legal practices in different cultures, etc.) but also
perhaps a committee or group whose purpose would be to help librarians
in need identify other librarians and/or legal experts who could help
with contracts written in x,y,z language.  It could be IFLA or another
international group already has these kinds of assistance available,
but I don't know.    Does anyone else?

Amy Schuler
Director, Information Services and Library
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, New York