From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:45:41 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:46:43 +0200

Validation of experimental data is crucial for disciplines, where published
incorrect data may lead to hazards or worse.

For the field of thermophysical property data of materials
the National Institute of Standards and Technology of the US (NIST)
validates the experimental data in manuscripts submitted to five different
journals.

http://www.nist.gov/mml/acmd/peer-090913.cfm

Reuse of data my be a risky affair, if there is no validation by experts.
This should we keep in mind, when we as libraries are planning to offer
data management and publication services.

Metadata description of research data should addresss this issue.

Joachim E. Meier, Dr.-Ing.
Head of Library
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) (http://www.ptb.de)
PF 3345                 Tel. +49-531-592-8131
38023 Braunschweig    Fax. +49-531-592-8137
GERMANY                 E-mail: [log in to unmask]