From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2015 18:43:34 -0400
From: Michael Magoulias <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 02:57:51 +0000

This thread continues to perplex, but it's a useful indication of how
contradictory the collective thinking is when it comes to assessing
activities on the web. Anyone who is seriously concerned about the
public at large being subject to digital surveillance should focus
their attentions on the organizations that are the real offenders,
namely Google and FaceBook. (And they certainly shouldn't be using
Gmail.) What Google and FB do is infinitely more pernicious than this
trivial incident regarding Pearson.

There seems to be a drive to consign the same activity to "good" or
"bad" buckets depending on how we feel about the actors. If you feel
Pearson is evil, then their near-monopoly over standardized testing
and monitoring of users will also be evil. If you think Google is
good, or perhaps simply not evil, then their even greater
near-monopoly over search and their far more successful track-record
of invisibly stalking their users and monetizing the results will get
a free pass.

To me, this just shows that this is all still too new for us to be
able to form coherent moral norms governing how people should be
treated once it is possible to reduce them to a set of highly
"actionable" data points, especially when they are seemingly so
complicit in this reduction.