From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:37:29 -0400
From: ANTHONY WATKINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:12:37 +0100

I think this is likely. The argument as you will know is that many
researchers are only interested in a single chapter in a monograph and
would rather buy one chapter than the whole book BUT of course the
commercial usefulness is not yet confirmed. Linking is (one would
imagine) confirmed as an aid to scholarship. I write as a former
historical researcher

Anthony

From: "Hutchinson, Alvin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:08:40 +0000

If book chapter indexing and discovery became as standardized as
article-level discovery, I wonder if we would begin to se the
dis-intermediation of chapters from their "parent" books just as we
are seeing articles being sold separately from journal subscriptions.

I can imagine users identifying, paying for and downloading chapters
instead of purchasing (or asking their library to borrow) the book.

And aside from the bibliographic citation listing the book title in
which the chapter appears, they might increasingly be treated as
distinct publications.

Just a thought . . . .

Alvin Hutchinson
Smithsonian Libraries