From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:32:11 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 19:51:38 +0100

Anyone who taught in a university is aware that such evaluations can be very
useful. It is not difficult to pick out the malcontents and people who just
want to cause problems, annoying though these are.

All or at least most publishers crave feedback. That is one of the reasons
they hold expensive editorial board meetings. BioMed Central answer all
complaints about their journals at a senior management level on a particular
afternoon every week. When I was a publisher for a list of journals I always
replied to any complaints that reached me at once and instigated an enquiry.
BMC make sure that complaints always reach senior people. It is not in the
interest of publishers dependent on good relations with the academic
community if they are to discourage evaluation.

It seems to me that the problem will be who runs the site. If it someone
like our moderator everyone except some very extreme people will be happy.
If it is a single person like Jeffrey Beall it is good if, like Jeffrey,
they strive to be fair. If it is someone who has vendetta against publishers
in general or particular publishers what good will the site do? I am not
sure how many people will have seen the formal evaluations of The Charleston
Advisor of online electronic resources. The reviews of services and products
in TCA are scrutinised by a varied editorial board quite carefully
[admission - I am one of them]. I am not suggesting something formal like
this - it is one extreme of what is possible. The big problem is of course
how to make such a venture sustainable. I am sure Ann could tell us the
amount of work involved.

Anthony