From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2015 20:31:50 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:49:46 -0500

In the Perfect 10 case the Ninth Circuit called Perfect 10's market
for its thumbnail images "speculative" even though a company was
already set up tp license such uses (on cell phones, for instance).
So, for some courts at least, it appears not to make a difference
whether the market really exists or not if the court, as Georgia
Harper said, wants to reach a certain policy outcome.

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. This didn't seem to bother Judge Leval when I pointed it out to
him even though he assured me that he would not think that way about
the actually existing market for paperback editions of monographs. I'm
not sure how he can consistently ignore one existing market and accept
the reality and importance of another.