From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:06:18 -0400
From: Greg Tananbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 08:17:31 -0700

Open Access is not simply about free readership, of course.  Journals
can make all of their articles free to read immediately upon
publication, but what about reuse rights?  Or the author's ability to
repost the article in an institutional or disciplinary repository?  Or
the unfettered ability to access full text and metadata via API?
These are all critical components of Open Access as well.

To that end, PLOS, SPARC, and OASPA created the Open Access Spectrum
in 2013 to help move the conversation from “Is It Open Access?” to
“How Open Is It?”  The Spectrum (on which I worked as project lead,
full disclosure) provides a clear illustration of where the policy
choices journals make reside on the spectrum between open and closed.
This encompasses not just reader rights, but also reuse rights,
copyrights, author posting rights, automatic posting, and machine
readability.

Authors around the world are using the Open Access Spectrum to make
informed decisions on where to publish based on publisher policies. In
addition, funders and other organizations use the Spectrum as a
resource to formulate and enforce their access policies and mandates.

Best Regards,
Greg