From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:19:28 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:49:38 -0600

Does anyone ever conduct formal reviews of journals?  I remember that
The Times Higher Education Supplement in the UK performed this
valuable service once upon a time (because one of our journals at Penn
State received a favorable review there), but I'm not sure whether it
still does, or whether this goes on anywhere else.

Some journal publishers themselves, as a matter of internal quality
control, may conduct reviews of their own journals from time to time.
I believe that a number of university presses do so, for their
journals and also monograph series, and report the findings to their
faculty editorial boards. We had this kind of procedure in place at
Penn State Press when I was director.

Such a review would normally look retrospectively at what was
published in the journal or series for five or more years and seek
external reviews from a range of experts in the field just as is done
for reviews of individual articles or monographs, but with a larger
number of reviewers involved, more like what is done for a tenure or
promotion review. One point in time at which this might be
appropriately done is when a journal editor's contract comes up for
renewal.

This kind of review would be very effective in further weeding out
"predatory" journals, and one could place more confidence in this kind
of formal review than in the informal reviews now being done. I
realize, of course, that given the number of journals, it would be a
daunting task, but perhaps if it were done systematically by field,
with each scholarly association responsible for quality control in its
own field (though some other body would need to review the journals
published by the society itself), this could be a sort of
self-policing exercise that would be appropriate for every society to
undertake as one of its major responsibilities.

Sandy Thatcher