From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:04:28 -0500
From: "Guédon Jean-Claude" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:41:30 +0000

Joseph Esposito's remark is really weird if we think about the fact
that we live in the context of a tight oligopoly of a few commercial
publishers. But that seems to be all right, at least to him!

On the other hand, when some librarians and researchers join together
for a quiet strategy meeting, the threat of antitrust is immediately
raised. And I mean "threat".  Amazing!

Does anyone on this list remember professor Barschall who was sued
(under anti-trust provisions) in four countries for displaying
accurate comparative figures of publishing costs for a set of physics
journals. Gordon and Breach was behind this, in personal terms, cruel
move. Gordon and Breach lost everywhere. With deep pockets, they
annoyed Barschall literally to death for between ten and twelve years.
It all stopped only when Wiley took over Gordon & Breach.

Orwell's notion that some are more equal than others is turning out to
be ever more accurate.

As for the possible relationship between ethics and profit seeking, I
will the readers judge.

Jean-Claude Guédon

From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:33:16 -0500

I would be interested to know from lawyers familiar with antitrust
issues whether this development may face legal challenges.

Joe Esposito