From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:00:20 -0400
From: Tony Sanfilippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:43:19 -0400

Hello,

On January 22nd I received the following set of guidelines from Baker
& Taylor/YBP concerning the presentation of our titles to our B&T/YBP
buyers. This is information they are now expecting publishers to
provide. I'm not quite sure what they thought our motivation would be
to provide this information, but they have asked. Note the very first
criterion:

"Content/Format that significantly affect sales through YBP"

During YBP’s Profiling process, our bibliographers assign “tags” to a
book’s record describing its content. Many libraries limit their
acquisitions of these kinds of material, so providing this information
in (or with) a book’s announcement is essential to accurate ordering.

Revised Dissetration: Master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation which
has undergone some revision prior to publication.. If it is not stated
somewhere in the book (usually the Preface, Introduction, or
Acknowledgements) that this began as the author’s dissertation, then
we do not assign this tag and therefore it is not necessary to inform
us of this information.

Unrevised Dissertation: Master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation with
no revisions. If it is not stated somewhere in the book that this is
the author’s actual dissertation, then this tag is not assigned.

Conference Monograph: A book based on a conference, symposium,
work-shop, etc., where papers have been edited and new, related
material added. If the conference was held 2 or more years prior to
publication of the book, a “+2” tag is added, which can limit sales
even further.

Conference Proceeding: Literal or barely edited record of a meeting or
meetings, or papers presented at those meetings. If the conference was
held 2 or more years prior to publication of the book, a “+2” tag is
added, which is even more limiting.

Personal Narrative: Non-fiction relating one person’s experiences,
which we refer to as a “first person nobody” book. Not to be confused
with biographies, autobiographies, letters/diaries, memoirs of noted
people or historical accounts.

Textbook: For use in a classroom or in a course of study, often
including summaries, sidebars, test questions, and other pedagogical
features. Can also be used as a reference work by professionals.

Abridgement: Truncated version of the original work.

Museum Publication: Catalogs of collections and/or traveling exhibitions.

Reprint: Previously published book. We don’t handle reprints until the
original edition is 10 or more years old. In this case, it can be very
helpful for you to indicate the date and the ISBN of the original
publication.

Collections: We have 4 collection definitions. I’ve noted all below to
show the difference. The first two will generally not limit sales; the
second two can be very limiting.

Collection (one author): Material by one author, the preponderance of
which is first published elsewhere. Most Variorum titles get tagged
with this.

Collection/New: Collection of works brought together by an editor or
compiler. The preponderance of essays, articles, etc., should not be
previously published. Can apply to previously-published literary works
now brought together in a new form with notes or other new material.

Collection/Anthology: Collections of works brought together in the
same book for the first time by an editor or compiler, where the
majority of the works are reprinted from various other sources
(includes gov’t documents, but not material only available on the
internet). The works can be related by theme or form.

Periodical Anthology: Collection of articles reprinted from several
issues of one periodical.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tony Sanfilippo
Assistant Director