From:
T Scott Plutchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 16:12:49 -0600
Very well-done summary of the issues, Chuck.  One of the things that has puzzled me as I've watched these controversies bubble up over e-books is that they mirror so closely the issues that we wrestled with a decade and more ago when we started licensing electronic versions of journals.  You could just about re-write Chuck's article substituting e-journals and relevant examples & change the date to sometime in the late 90s.

I found the section on the permanence of the scholarly record to be particularly of interest, since it was the eruption of that issue over the controversy surrounding the removal of an article from the journal Human Immunology in late 2001 that led to my own involvement with the topic and brought me to my first Charleston Conference.  Now, thanks to the work of many (including Anthony Watkinson in his work with IFLA and STM & Michael Mabe when he was still with Elsevier) there are relatively standard policies and guidelines in place (including in the ICMJE Guidelines) governing retractions and removal of articles.  I'm not satisfied with where we are, but certainly the situation is vastly improved over that of a decade ago.

The same story could be told about many of the issues that Chuck raises.  Do we really have to go through all of this again?

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences

University of Alabama at Birmingham