From:
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 18:13:16 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 10:06:26 -0500

Calling this model "coercion" is a misnomer.  Students may have no
choice in the matter, but when did they ever have a choice?  What
makes the textbook industry unique is that the publishers do not sell
to the end users but to intermediaries, i.e., professors, and these
intermediaries have as much freedom as any other buyer to turn down an
offer.  This does not amount to "an offer they can't refuse." So,
blaming the publishers for being creative about the ways they offer
their products seems misdirected.  If anyone is to blame here, it is
the professors who succumb to the temptations the publishers offer
them.  No one is holding a gun to their heads.  This might be coercion
if the professors were receiving kickbacks from the publishers, but
Chuck has offered no proof of such skullduggery.

Sandy Thatcher