From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:10:27 -0400
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 07:06:55 -0700

This article is idiosyncratic and has a known outlier (Wolfram) at the
heart of it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/the-scientific-paper-is-obsolete/556676/

But it makes some good points about the way science is actually done
nowadays and the widening gap between that work and the traditions of
the scientific paper.  It makes me think about what would happen if
you really started from scratch:  no articles, no journals, just
scientists and scholars suddenly waking up one day and thinking they
need to tell other people what they're discovering.  What would you
invent from scratch with current technology, as the first "journal"
publishers were inventors with current technology 350 years ago?

Maybe the way to focus the question is this:  what is the most
important thing you'd like to have in your scholarly communication
system that we just don't have now and don't see a way to get from
"articles" and "journals"?

Jim O'Donnell
ASU