From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:25:47 -0400
From: "Colson, Jeannie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:23:31 +0000

Steve, I appreciate this.

Our setting is like this: when I started 7 or 8 years ago, our
databases were being handled by someone in a public library
consortium, so that we had no branding, no freedom to determine
defaults and so on, so I asked if I could take that on. I've been
handling db admin, negotiating contracts, web services (including
tutorials, designing and maintaining the website), and copyright "go
to person" for the campus.

Only recently did I consider that more and more (in our setting) there
might be a need to merge roles, but there is a serials/gov docs
librarian, and it would be impolitic to suggest taking on her work,
and the reverse would not work for a variety of reasons. Then we had a
<ahem> situation </ahem> where I (as liaison for nursing schools)
researched and made some decisions regarding databases, electronic and
print serials. My decisions saved a lot of money, provided more stuff
for our students, but made our serials jobber very unhappy. And the
"dancing" began. You'd have to see things here to understand how many
steps in that dance. Anyway, I decided in the midst of the dance I
needed to know how others are handling it so I could provide facts
(not just opinions/thoughts/musings) to my director.

I hope to hear from others to help me get a better understanding for
workable options.

~Jeannie