From:
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2017 20:09:44 -0400
From: Sarah Glasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 17:48:50 +0000

With apologies for cross-posting…

Portico Welcomes 1,000th Library Supporting Digital Preservation

Portico is pleased to announce the University Library of
Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, as its 1,000th participating library.
They joined Portico alongside 53 other German institutions following
an exhaustive evaluation funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
(DFG, German Research Foundation), which recommended participation in
Portico as part of their national strategy for digital preservation of
licensed content.

“Our scientists often ask us how sustainable the library's investment
in digital media is. Portico is a key element in our archiving
strategy,” said Library Director Konstanze Söllner.

Increasingly, library consortia around the world have turned to
Portico as part of a national digital preservation strategy. Portico
is supported by CAPES in Brazil, SURFMarket in the Netherlands, the
Conference of Italian University Rectors (CRUI), b-on in Portugal, the
Consortium of Swiss Academic Libraries, MINCYT in Argentina, and
dozens of other consortia and university systems around the world.

Several of Portico’s earliest supporters took the occasion to reflect
on Portico’s growth over the last decade, and the increasing awareness
of the importance of digital preservation:

Dr. Paul Ayris, Pro-Vice-Provost (UCL Library Services), said, “In a
digital world, the serious user needs to be sure that the materials
they access today will be available tomorrow. Portico has become a
global trusted service that fills such a need: long-term access to
resources is a key part of the digital infrastructure of the 21st
century.”

“We consider Portico to be a vital component of our licensed content
portfolio,” said Ivy Anderson, Associate Executive Director of the
California Digital Library.  “Archival rights are meaningless without
a trusted archive to back them up – Portico gives us that assurance,
and occupies a special place in the scholarly ecosystem as a community
resource that holds valuable content in trust for the academic
community.”

Read more at http://www.portico.org/digital-preservation/news-events/news/portico-welcomes-1000th-library-supporting-digital-preservation

Best regards,
Sarah  Glasser

Sarah Glasser
Director, Global Product Marketing
ITHAKA
Tel: 212-358-6419

ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org) is a not-for-profit organization that helps
the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the
scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable
ways. We provide innovative services that benefit higher education,
including Ithaka S+R, JSTOR, and Portico.